Friday, November 4, 2016

The Blessings of Being Overweight

Is that my title? Really!?! Is it even possible to be grateful for such a thing? It sounds absurd I know, but hear me out.  And no, I am not saying that anyone should purposely stay overweight.

Let me back up a bit first. I never wanted to be overweight, or fat! In fact, through all of my youth, up through my college years, I did everything to make sure that I wasn't. I made sure so much so that I would either not eat at all, or very little. Then I'd exercise for 4 hours straight. Crazy!
Why would I do such a thing? What was I lacking? Was it just juvenile?

Then I got married. I blame part of my problem on this reason ( hehe) because I felt so much love from my husband that I stopped worrying about trying to look perfect. I didn't need to please everyone anymore. I just needed to please him. Well when you don't like to cook, but your husband does and he cooks very unhealthy...the weight starts to pack on. We have tried cooking healthy together and turning this whole thing around and some years we have succeeded and other years we have failed miserably. So why has it been 17 years of marriage and I'm still struggling with this issue?

I see both scenarios as the same issue really, just on different ends of the spectrum. How so you ask? Well, both have to do with feelings, emotions, control, connection/relationships, confidence, self-love, food addiction etc. Both use the relationship with food to meet needs.

This brings me back around to blessings. I am very grateful for this challenge /trial because without it,

I WOULDN'T BE ME!

Here is some of the other blessings, I see from not just being overweight but from being super skinny and from struggling with this challenge.

1. When overweight, as my Aunt Terry used to say, "There is more of me to love."  In all seriousness though, it truly exposes who your real friends are and who really cares about you. When you have quality friends, there is truly more to love. People have to get past the exterior and really get to know you. I know high school right? But it is amazing how many people are still judged by appearance at every age.

2. Being overweight is naturally humbling. It provides an opportunity to draw closer to God and rely on Him. Just like many challenges do, this just happens to be mine.

3.   Being overweight has provided an opportunity for me to learn everything there is to know about health, wellness, psychology and fitness. If I didn't have this struggle, I don't know who I would be or what I'd be passionate about.

4. Because I am overweight, I have to exercise a lot of self control (which is a fruit of the spirit). I am concerned with what I put into my body, even if you can't tell.  I know people who are skinny fat people (people who can eat whatever they want and not put on weight) and some of them are not health conscious at all and could be more prone to heart attack or stroke and not even know it.

5. Being overweight, means my body loves me! Why? Because it takes the toxins and stores them so that they are not harming my body in other ways. It is a self preserving/protection mechanism.

6.  I am blessed to be able to self analyze and look at the problem from many different angels. It allows me to get to the very core of me.

7. It has given me an appreciation for this gift of a body that I don't know if I could learn in a more intimate way.

8. It has blessed me to not be as  judgmental (I'm still human, unfortunately) and really get to know and love people.

9. I am blessed to be able to share my story, my journey, my knowledge with others and hopefully impact their life for the better. It gives me hope that others who struggle with this same issue will not have to suffer as long.

10.  It gives me the opportunity to realize through all my attempts and failures that I of myself can't do it alone but that I need a Savior. I need his grace and atonement.

There are a million more blessings but I will leave you with my top ten. I hope you have been inspired and can look at your own challenges and weakness's in a whole new light. I know through God nothing is impossible and He can make our weak things strong.



No comments:

Post a Comment