Monday, November 7, 2016

Helping My Unbelief

In Mark 9: 23-24, it is the story of the man who brings his son for Christ to heal him. Jesus tells the father that all things are possible to him that believeth. Then the man says, Lord, I believe; help thou my unbelief.

When I think about how many times I have gained weight and lost weight and gained again, it makes me feel defeated. It seems like an insurmountable task.  My hope begins to die because what is the use of trying one more time.
This scripture gives me strength to try one more time for a couple of reasons.

1)  I love how the Lord tells the father that ALL things are possible, if I, if you,  will just believe. He doesn't say only this aspect of my life can change or this one, but ALL. All gives me reassurance that having a change of heart about food and losing weight is covered in that All category.

2) Believing is the second part of this. I need to believe in Him. Believe that He cares enough about this gift of a body that he gave to restore it. Not only to restore the body, but the mind that got this body in this mess to begin with.

That second one is harder, especially when I have tried sooo many times. Why didn't He help the other million attempts? Maybe because I didn't ask or maybe because He did but I wasn't listening. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in how the world says to lose weight and stay healthy. This makes me completely miss out on the source, the Lord, who knows more about the how to then anyone else. I still feel like sometimes maybe it's not His will or timing and therefore unbelief sets in. I sometimes feel like, of course the Lord would help....someone else...just not me..

3) The father admits that he believes but needs help with that part of him that still has unbelief. Maybe it's that part of him that knows the Lord would heal someone else but just not him. I don't know what part of him was unbelieving. I do love though how he admits this. I love even more than that, that the Lord still heals his son. He doesn't say, "Oh you admitted that you still are unsure and completely believing so I can't help you. No, He heals his son anyway. I can see it in my mind, a loving Christ, who cares enough to help the fathers unbelief and heal the son. Even if his faith and belief was the size of a mustard seed the Lord would do it. I love that I don't have to be perfect in this aspect either.

This scripture gives me hope and increases my belief. It helped me in the beginning of this journey. It has also helped me on those days when I haven't lost any weight. I believe it will also help me through plateaus.

On another note, I want to make sure to say, that losing weight isn't the only goal on this journey. The higher goal is becoming closer to Christ and my Father in Heaven. I want to deepen my relationship with them. If I keep my focus on the higher goal, the lesser goal will follow. So if there are days when the weight doesn't seem to be budging or my body isn't changing as much, I can look to see if my relationship is improving. Am I doing those things to develop that relationship? Am I taking care of my body the way the Lord wants me to?
Remember all things are possible,
Amy Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment