I love to move my body. I even love exercise. It's just a matter of actually doing it. Doing it without making excuses. Once I start I'm fine. It's just starting.
I must admit that when I am out of the habit, doing movement that I really love is easier to start. For me some of these are walking, swimming, dancing, playing floor hockey, rock climbing, stand up paddle board and roller skating. They are easier to do without coming up with something I feel takes precedents for my time.
Getting back into a routine is not easy. I often here people say, "I just need some motivation." I have even thought that about myself on more than a couple occasions. I decided to start my journey back to health and fitness with walking. It has been really nice out and I love to do it. When it is cold I have a treadmill I use. On one particularly cold day, I walked on my treadmill. One of the things I like to do when I walk indoors is play one of my Time out for Women DVD's. The message of this particular day was by Wendy Ulrich. It was about being happier. She proceeds to list all these things not to do to be happier. I loved them all but number 2 really caught my attention. It read:
Don't try to get motivated to exercise!
I thought, "What! This is going to be interesting." I listened with real intent. Hoping for some magic formula. So here it is:
Motivation follows Action! We must trick our energy conserver's in our mind and body.
I loved this message and thought you know, she is right!This is what has been working for me to get back at it.
Part of my mind has been saying, "Oh my goodness, this is going to be sooo hard." So I told myself, "Just walk." As I have done that, I have thought, "Okay, that wasn't so bad. I can do a little more. " And so I have. Slowly each week, I have been adding more to my routines. As I have decided just to do it and stop making excuses. Even though some days have been just a little bit. My motivation has increased each day and I am doing more each week.
I loved how Wendy talked about how a woman would just stand on her treadmill and read the newspaper. Then she slowly did it for 1 min or so until eventually she was running. Another lady started marching in place on commercial breaks until she started skipping her show altogether to move more. This is how I have started, slow. Now I am getting in 4-6 miles a day walking and doing a 30 min high intensity workout.
A week ago I was only doing the high intensity workout 3 days a week. I knew I needed to be doing more but was dealing with excuses and or life. I told you how I have been praying about this a lot. Praying because I know the worldly knowledge of health and fitness, but my Godly knowledge in it is lacking. Later in the day, as another excuse was brewing in my mind, a clear strong thought popped into place. The spirit said to me these words, " Six Days Thou Shalt Labor." (Deuteronomy 5:13) It was as clear as day. I knew then that I couldn't make anymore excuses. I had to be a doer. I needed to start working out 6 days a week.
The great thing about the Lord is that He tells it like it is. He tells us what we need to hear. My eating has been coming along great with the question that he gave me. "Will I give this up to know Him better?"
Now, I have one for my exercise/movement as well. Whenever the excuses and life tries to get in my way. All I need to do is remind myself that the Lord told me, 6 days!
I have been following this for a week now and it has helped dramatically. I hope it helps you too.
No comments:
Post a Comment