Thursday, December 1, 2016

Success through the Holidays!

I made sure to weigh myself before I left on my trip. I then weighed myself again today since it is the 1st of the month. I was so excited. I lost 2 more pounds.

I still lost 2 pounds without being crazy. Did I have some green bean casserole (my favorite)? Yes, I did. Did I have some pecan pie (another favorite)? Yes I did. Did I go to my favorite restaurant in Illinois (Avantis) and have my favorite foods there? Yes, I did.

I could have maybe lost more weight had I not partaken of these favorites, but for my sanity, it was worth it. Part of me wanted to prove to myself that I was changing and that God is helping me. I wanted to prove to myself that I could with His help, find balance. I don't believe the Lord doesn't want us to ever enjoy and take pleasure in our foods. Most of the time, I find pleasure in my healthy foods. However, I really love some of our food traditions surrounding the holidays and don't feel it is necessary to give them up 100% (at least not until I can healthify them to my satisfaction.) I love to healthify favorites and have been working on that.

How did I create balance? One of the main things I did was really watch my portions. I made sure the amount was small on those favorites. I also piled up my plate with vegetables. If I knew it was going to be a day when I would have something not on my list, I would eat less in order to compensate for the extra calories. There was a few times as well that I skipped a meal. Not because I was hungry and just trying to punish myself, but because I really wasn't hungry. Sometimes we just eat because it is "meal time, everyone else is eating". This doesn't have to be the case. If your not hungry, don't eat until you are. Then even if you still have food on your plate but you are no longer hungry, stop eating. Especially before the disgustingly full feeling sets in. I also made sure that I exercised almost everyday during my trip. I took some of my workout videos with me. I was moving and working out Thanksgiving morning as well. On our drive, I mostly ate almonds and dates and a Suja green juice.

Since I have gotten back, I have been a little more strict with myself. I have pretty much been sticking to green juice, salads, fruits,veggies and nuts. I have had a little bit of meat, cheese and grains, but not much.

I was off of my goal  by 1 pound for the month of  November.  I am still pretty happy about my progress. I'm not beating myself up about it.  It is very hard to lose weight when traveling and during the holidays! I am back home now and still on track. Plus, its only partially about the weight. It is also about finding God, improving my spirituality, finding balance, and improving my overall health and wellness.

I attribute all my success to God, to Christ's atonement and strength. I am blessed to have His help with this trial and weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment