Thursday, August 31, 2017

You Only Fail if You Quit

It has been quite a while since I have posted. When I realized I wasn't going to meet my goal of being fit before 40 it made me really sad. I gave up temporarily. Life got in the way.  Our whole world which I thought was already upside down and topsy turvy had more bumps in the road. My focus shifted to get our family through it all. We sold a lot of our possessions, moved to another state and are now starting over with hope for a better life.  I am refocused now and starting over too.

I don't like failing. I don't know anyone who does. Failing is an important aspect of life though. It gives us the opportunity to learn and to grow.  I love quotes. they help me so much. Here are my favorite quotes on failure.

There is no failure except in no longer trying. -Elbert Hubbard

Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up. -Chinese Proverb

It's okay to fail but it's not okay to give up.

99% of failures come from people who make excuses. - George Washington

Did I make excuses? Yes, I could have made different choices despite our circumstances. Looking back, I see how I could and can now do things differently.

It is important to note though, and I talk about this a lot with the clients I coach, sometimes you have to figure out your primary food first ( career/finances, relationships, sleep, activity) before you can be effective in your eating goals.  This is what I did. I prioritized.

What did I learn (some of this stuff I already knew but failed in my application)

1) Life is going to happen. Having perfect conditions to work on your health and fitness will most likely not happen. It's important to create lasting habits. It's also important to pick back up the health and wellness bucket even if you had to set it down for awhile.

2) Reliance on the Lord is key. I got sidetracked and even though I continued to read and pray, my focus changed. I needed to continue to ask for help for this too.

3) I am stronger than I give myself credit for. I have a heart that is always set on health and wellness whether I am living it all the time or not. I always pick this bucket back up and continue to try to be my best.

4) There are less than ideal choices and then there are bad choices. I could have better continued to watch my portions if I couldn't control the processed food  versus clean eating as much.

5) Taking me time  to work out and meditate despite the storm is vital to not crying everyday for months. Yes, I cried everyday for months. It was bad.

What am I doing know? What are my new goals? Plans?

1) Eating: Focusing on clean whole foods. Starting a sugar detox group in September.  Making sure I have a carb, protein and fat at each meal.
Breakfast is typically a green smoothie or an egg/spinach omelet with fruit.
Lunch is typically veggies, fruit and hummus or almond butter with the fruit and veggies.
Dinner is typically a salad with chicken or fish and maybe some quinoa.

2) Exercise: My focus has been on my core lately. I have been doing Beachbody programs : Tai Cheng and Piyo. I am also starting to add in some weight training and cardio. I am going to the gym M-Fri  with a friend. Having a buddy is always helpful.  Then I am  getting in activities/movement with the family in the evenings. It is so pretty here we can't help but be outside.

3) New goal is to focus on being consistent and showing up everyday. I took an initial weight but will not check that again till next year around my birthday. I don't want that to be the focus. The focus is on eating healthy 90  percent of the time and exercising 5 days a week.  I want to be strong and have muscles.

So here is to a new year. I'll keep you posted on my progress. I have all this knowledge and want to be able to share it and help others.  I understand though that I need to walk the walk to talk the talk.  I am learning best and first hand what my clients  go through. In the long run this will make me a better coach.
Follow my journey. Subscribe to my blog and be inspired to take your own steps towards a better you.


No comments:

Post a Comment