I loved rereading my last post today before I began writing this one. I loved the strength and the reminder. The week between Christmas and New Year's got the better of me. Satan had been trying to beat me down since I started this. He got in full fledged attack mode between Halloween and New Years. The Lord and I had managed to defeat him, then last week happened. I was really busy with work and dates with Garrett. My scripture study wasn't as intense last week. I didn't feel as close to my Savior last week. My food addiction came back in full force. Thankfully though, the Lord is still with me. He is showing me and teaching me about repentance, His atonement and creating awareness in my life for the issue. He has showed me love and grace. Some anonymous givers were His hands this holiday season. These givers have shown me the Saviors love and have helped encourage me to keep my resolve strong to my goal. I want you to know that I have recommitted and am back on track.
Normally, every year almost, I start a new New Year's Resolution to lose weight. Did I say every year? That is pretty much how it has been since I was 12 except 2 New Years that I can think of. Well this year...
Weight Loss is not MY New Year's Resolution!!!!
In my mind, it doesn't have to be because I started this goal on my birthday and not right now. Also, in the grand scheme of things there are more important things to resolve to be better at/ to change this year. I know people who hate New Years resolutions and that is okay because they are given a pretty bad rap. It is really hard to change. It takes a lot of time, energy and consistency. I love them though and I love people who at least think about changing something, even if they do not. Thinking about it, is the first step. We talk about this a lot in coaching. One has to be aware of things before they can do anything about them. Also just because you think about them doesn't mean your ready to act. The process can take years and years to get to the action phase.
So back to what I have decided. This past year has been just as much a spiritual journey as it has been a financial and physical journey. Experience and the scriptures tell me that I can do nothing without God. It tells me that nothing is impossible when God is on our side. In order to produce the amount of change I want to see happen in my life this year, in all aspects, I know I need to be close to God. Plus, if we focus on the eternal perspective then all that is truly important is being more Christlike. Focusing on eternal goals is going to be key.
Main goal (New Year's Resolution): Draw as close to Christ as possible. Become more Christlike.
I have been thinking a lot about the best ways to do this. I have come up with 3 areas of focus.
1. Pray and study longer and more intently. I haven't quantified this by time but by things I want to read and study. For example, I want to finish my analysis on the Book of Mormon and what it says about our relationship to food. I want to dive in to the Doctrine and Covenants and not only be prepared for Sunday school this year but see what it says about health as well. I also want to be prepared for Relief Society lessons. I also want to spend more time reading the Ensign and church material then I do on FB, email, pinterest. I want to know the scriptures well enough that my kids will notice a change in my parenting and example.
2. Temple Attendance: If I am going to be closer to the Lord, I need to go to His house more often and help Him with His work. I haven't always went once a month so I'm going to start there. I want to be more aware while I am there of symbolism and of His spirit. If my temple is to change, I need to more regularly go to His temple.
3. Service to others. We serve the Lord when we serve others. My family and I have been the recipients of a lot of service since we have moved to Idaho. Even though I can't serve right now financial, I can serve with my time. I will be keeping my eyes and heart open to ideas to do this. Any ideas you have are welcome and appreciated. I want to make sure I am doing something at least once a month, but hopefully by the end of the year it will be weekly or daily.
I believe that these resolutions will help me get to where I want to be, will be the most rewarding and fulfilling. We are more than our weight. I am more than my extra weight. By focusing on the Savior, I can express my gratitude for all of His help with all my trials and life challenges. By focusing on Him, I can become the person, He knows that I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment